The right foundation can take you from looking like Ursula to Ariel, but the procedure of selecting the correct foundation shade can often be a chore filled with trial and error. Our skintones are all vastly different and it is very easy to make the wrong decision as to what colour foundation and skin care combinations suit you best.
We have compiled some tips for you so that your trip to the cosmetics store won’t end up with you just wandering aimlessly.
1. Swatch at least three different colours on the side of your face and look for the shade that disappears on your skin.
2. Double check the shade on your forehead, if the shade works on both areas you have the perfect shade
3. Apply the foundation around your nose and mouth, including your chin – the areas where skin tends to be red or uneven – and then blend it out to the rest of your face.
4. Use your fingers for sheer coverage or a brush for medium to full coverage
5. If you see any redness or unevenness showing through, go back and spot-apply with a foundation stick
6. To give your foundation staying power and simultaneously take away shine, set your foundation with skin tone correct powder. Focus on the areas that tend to get shiny, such as your nose, chin, forehead and between your brows.
7. Use a brush for a sheer application and puff for denser coverage
Bobbi Brown Tip: When you want a more low-key look on weekends or when you’re on vacation – try a tinted or when you’re on vacation – try a tinted moisturizer or tinted moisture balm.