Find a variety of step-by-step DIY projects at dulux.co.za.
Photographs Francois Oberholster • Styling Shelly Bergh
Having just moved into a more spacious home from a small duplex apartment, the Arendse family were excited about the extra rooms they’d suddenly acquired – but a lot had to be done to make it their own.
While no renovations were needed, beautifying the space was in order. The home’s interior was stuck in the ’60s where walls were all the same boring shade of beige. As a start, the family decided to give their home a clean slate of crisp white paint.
The first project they then tackled was the transformation of the study, with the intention of making it the creative hub of their home for doing homework, arts and crafts and reading. They decided on neutral tones for the walls with one extraordinary element to keep the creative juices flowing – a focal wall with a contemporary triangle motif.
Celebrating their love for Africa, the Arendses opted for the Soulful Kenya palette from the Colours of the World™ range – a majestic colour combination inspired by Mother Earth.
The focal wall was first painted in the colour Daring Kenya, then the stencilling was done in the colour Gentle Kenya. Eye-catching! Make a statement with Dulux Colours of the World™!
A pleasant surprise! When the old carpets were lifted, the Arendses discovered original parquet flooring; it was sanded and then resealed with four coats of Dulux Woodgard Floorgard.
Chair from Chair Crazy; fish artwork, wire paper tray, clock, panda pen holder, storage box and rug from MRP Home; lamp and plant from Woolworths; notebooks, pens and handbag from Typo
How to stencil a triangle wall
You will need
- A3 sheet of Priplak
- repositionable spray adhesive
- Dulux Gentle Kenya from the Colours of the World palette
- steel ruler
- craft knife
- cutting mat
- sponge roller and tray
1. Make your own triangle stencil using the steel ruler, craft knife and sheet of Priplak.
2. Spray one side of the stencil with the repositionable adhesive.
3. Starting at the top of the wall, place the side of your stencil against the cornice and corner of the wall. Apply Gentle Kenya paint over the stencil using the sponge roller. Then move the stencil down to touch the bottom of the previous triangle and the side of the wall, and paint again. Repeat until you get to the bottom of the wall. Spray the stencil with adhesive as needed. Keep repeating the pattern until the entire wall is covered.
Tranquil blues and serene greens in the accessories add contrast. A second-hand metal locker was sanded, primed with Dulux Supergrip All Surface Primer and painted with two coats of Hammerite Direct to Rust Smooth White. Picture perfect!
Colour references are as accurate as printing will allow. Please refer to the in-store stripe cards or on-shelf colour displays for an accurate representation of the colour.
- Chair Crazy 021 465 9991, chaircrazy.co.za
- MRP Home 0800 212 535, mrphome.com
- Typo 021 914 5486, shop.cottonon.com/typoshop
- Woolworths 0860 022 002, woolworths.co.za