Statistics South Africa has announced the most popular names for babies in 2017 – and at the top of the list, for both boys and girls, was Enzokuhle, which means “do good” in Zulu.
The top three names for girls were Enzokuhle, Melokuhle (“stand up for what’s right” in Zulu) and Amahle (“pretty” in Zulu).
The most common middle names for girls were Precious, Princess and Angel.
Enzokuhle, Melokuhle en Amogelang were in the top five for both genders, Stats SA reports. When it came to boys’ names, Enzokuhle was followed in popularity by Lethabo (“luck” in Sesotho, Sepedi and Setswana) and Melokuhle.
The most common middle name for boys were Junior, Blessing and Gift.
In the Western Cape, Liam was the most popular name for boys and Mia for girls. In Gauteng, Luthando was the winner for boys and Lethabo for girls.
Stats SA also announced:
- In 2017, 989 318 births were registered – 2,1% more than in 2016.
- Of these births 22% were in Gauteng.
- More boys than girls were born in 2017.
- In 14,7% of the births, the mothers were older than 35. Moms’ average age was 27.
- Altogether 62% of the births recorded in 2017 didn’t include any information about the fathers.