So you long for a pretty garden but you have no space? Not to worry – vertical gardening is the answer.
Just because you live in a little flat with an excuse for a stoep and no garden to speak of doesn’t mean you can’t also make use your green fingers. Try this funky, innovative and space saving gardening technique.
So, what's it all about?
So, what's it all about?
- Vertical gardens allow everyone the opportunity to bring a touch of green into the home, whether you live in a flat, townhouse development or urban apartment. It’s simple to make and easy to care for especially if you plant up with succulents.
- Indoors or outdoors, a vertical garden can be planted up and mounted almost anywhere, as long as the plants received the required amount of sunlight each day.
- When establishing your own vertical garden you can incorporate plant varieties for a particular space. If you know that the vertical garden will be mounted in a shady spot, plant up with shade-loving plants. Add a splash of colour to highlight features or pieces in your home, as done on the vertical garden display above.
- Make up a small vertical garden for a bathroom or hallway and incorporate air plants that require very little maintenance and can be planted without soil. Have a look at this feature on greening a bathroom for more information on Tillandsias (air plants).
- Tillandsias are amazing plants and only need to be placed in a spot with plenty of circulating air and light. A quick misting with water once a week and these plants will be happy. They do not require any soil and can be mounted onto almost any surface simply by tying them on, or glueing them on (not silicone sealer) until they grab hold.
Most Read Stories
What To Watch
A Seat at the Table WATCH: How women empowerment translates across three generations of women Throughout W24’s series A Seat at the Table, phenomenal women from all ages have shared their thoughts, opinions and wisdoms. This week’s panellists celebrated the essence of these collective discussions through women empowerment. Here’s what they had to say:
A Seat at the Table WATCH: Unpacking love and relationships with three generations of women on A Seat At The Table The new W24 video series, A Seat At the Table, is a ten-part series that invites three different women from three different generations to share their opinions about various topics. Here’s what they had to say:
A Seat at the Table WATCH: Money gets stacked at A Seat At The Table with three generations of women The new W24 video series, A Seat At the Table, is a ten-part series that invites three different women from three different generations to share their opinions about various topics.Here's what they have to say about money:
Do you think gender-neutral clothing is the future of fashion?