Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
• 1 x 500g packet split peas, rinsed and drained
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
• a small bunch of hardy herbs like bay, thyme and parsley (bouquet garni)
• 1 smoked pork shin (eisbein)
• 2 L chicken stock
• salt and black pepper to taste
1 Place the peas, vegetables and pork shin in a large pot with the bouquet garni and pour the stock over. Bring to the boil and cover, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 3 hours. Tip Skim off any froth or foam that forms on the surface.
2 After 3 hours, the meat should be so tender that it falls off the bone. Remove the herbs (discard) and the meat from the pot and flake from the bone.
3 Taste the soup and season if necessary. Return the meat to the pot and stir through. Serve the soup with fresh bread.