- Hard labour 5/10
- Skill level 5/10
- Time needed ± 2 hours (varnishing excluded)
- You can adjust the size of your daybed to fit a standard single bed mattress (920 x 1 880mm).
- Remember to drill pilot holes.
- If you'd like to give your daybed a contemporary colour, you can tint Woodoc Water-Borne DECK with any of Woodoc's range of COLOURS, which are available in 12 fashion colours like 'Seaweed' and 'Mulberry', as well as 8 natural wood shades like 'Imbuia' and 'Meranti'.
You will need
- 22 x 95mm planed pine, cut to: two lengths of 1 900mm (frame); three lengths of 460mm and six lengths of 300mm (leg structures); seventeen lengths of 600mm (base)
- Alcolin Cold Glue
- 150-grit sandpaper
- about one hundred 8mm x 40mm chipboard screws
- cordless drill and 3mm drill bit
- tape measure
Get started ...
1. Measure and mark the 460mm and 300mm planks (see sketch 1 and 2) and saw them along the marked line to form the joints for the leg structures.
2. Make the leg structures by gluing and screwing a 300mm plank on each end of the 460mm planks. Repeat the process to make three leg structures.
3. Using the jigsaw, cut the ‘lower’ corners of the two 1 900mm frame planks diagonally (see sketch 3). Then measure and mark three 22mm strips on both long frame planks: 100mm from each end, and one in the middle. Glue and screw the leg structure to the long frame planks at those marks.
4. Measure and make a mark 60mm from each end, and 20mm from the sides, on the seventeen 600mm planks; so that’s 4 marks on each plank (see sketch 4). Now drill a pilot hole at each of those marks with the 3mm drill bit. This ensures that the screws are neatly spaced in a straight line.
5. Place the first 600mm plank at a precise right angle across the centre of the frame. Make sure the plank sticks out 50mm on each side and screw together with four chipboard screws. Use offcut pieces of wood as spacers and screw the rest of the 600mm planks to the frame to form the base. Sand the daybed to a smooth finish and paint or varnish the wood with Woodoc Water-Borne DECK.