Members of #TheTotalShutDown took to the streets to protest following the alleged rape incident reported last week at the Dros restaurant in Pretoria.
The 20-year-old man accused of raping a six-year-old child in the Dros toilets appeared at the Pretoria Magistrate's Court today.
“We will not let them forget,” vow #TheTotalShutdown members. Maungo Dolo from the organisation said this gathering outside the court is a “support process” to show solidarity to the child.
#TheTotalShutDown members had invited South Africans to join them as they gathered outside the court in support of the six-year-old child. They asked those in support of the protest to dress in black and red to show solidarity as seen outside the court on Tuesday. Other activists also gathered in solidarity, according to an article in News24.
#NotInMyName demonstrators and a number of political parties were also present outside the court.
Maungo said the protesting members want to see the same court process applied to the accused as other individuals of other races who have been accused of rape. “It is evident that race has come into play,” says Maungo. She adds that they want to apply pressure for fairness to prevail because “social media activism is not enough”.
Maungo emphasises that they do not want the rape accused to be offered bail.
“We are tired, we are tired of the judiciary that is failing,” she said. Maungo said that their march will not be interfere with court proceedings and added that it will be a peaceful gathering. “We only have placards and our bodies,” she said.
Outrage on social media continues because the identity of the accused has mostly been not been shared by the media even after he appeared in court today. Some felt the reason for this was racially motivated.
We hope the full might of the law will fall on any and all guilty parties. And the alleged victim and family are protected.
We'd also like to share a few articles that could help anyone who has been affected by this alleged crime and other forms of violence against women and children.
W24 along with News24 has taken a decision not to identify the accused until he has pleaded in court as stipulated in the Criminal Procedure Act.
According to section 154(2b) of the Criminal Procedure Act: (b) No person shall at any stage before the appearance of an accused in a court upon any charge referred to in section 153(3) or at any stage after such appearance but before the accused has pleaded to the charge, publish in any manner whatever any information relating to the charge in question.
Section 153(3) refers to criminal proceedings related to sexual offences charges.
Once the accused has pleaded to the charges, W24 and News24 will reveal his identity in accordance with the law.
Sign up to W24's newsletters so you don't miss out on any of our stories.