What 15 years in entertainment has taught Khanya Mkangisa
Our December cover star Khanya Mkangisa talks us through the lessons she's embraced after 15 years in the entertainment industry
- Save. There’s no need to be saving for something specific. Rainy days will always be there.
- Be easy to work with. A great work ethic has taken me places. It makes everything that much more fun when you are a pleasure to be around.
- Have a thick skin. This comes in handy when people are being unkind.
- Not everyone is going to critique you on your work. I’ve learnt to differentiate between those that are mean because they have the platform to be, and those whose feedback comes from a good place.
- No one will have your best interests like you will. I’m responsible for me more than the next person will ever be.
- Always arrive prepared. When you walk into a room prepared, that’s half the job done!
- Know your strengths and weaknesses. It helps not to take on everything. For instance, I know I could never host a current affairs show.
- Put all your energy into what you are known for. I don’t ever want to branch out so far that people forget what I specialise in.