Safeguard yourself against the dreaded cold and flu
South Africans can also take some basic preventative steps to protect themselves from coming down with influenza. Follow these tips to safeguard yourself against the dreaded cold and flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who are already sick, and vice versa. Keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too. If you cannot avoid contact, invest in some surgical masks to wear in and around the house.
- If possible, stay home and avoid public places when you are ill. This will help contain the infection.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing or cough and sneeze in the nook of your elbow to prevent the spread of germs.
- Washing your hands often will help protect you from bacteria. If soap and water are not available, use a waterless hand sanitizer.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at work or at home, especially when someone has the sniffles.
- Get plenty of sleep, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.