Are you looking for your first job, or have you been employed for a while and looking for a change.
Here's what to work through to help you land your dream job. Let's start from the beginning.
1. The CV
This is the first impression your potential bosses or the people who whisper in their ears will get from you. Make them think you're the superstar they need to place on top of the shortlist.
- Make sure there are no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Ask two other people you trust to look over it for you. It's amazing what you can miss when you've been working on something for a long time.
- Keep tweaking your CV according to what job you're applying for. Some areas of experience or expertise my totally irrelevant or you may want to make certain qualifications for prominent than others to highlight why you're suitable for the job.
2. The job hunt
The struggle is real. We all know it's not easy. Now that you have your CV looking like something you're proud of, it's time to think about where to start looking for all those job postings.
You can start with this process of thinking about job you're applying for before tweaking your CV but I find going through your CV first reminds you of your talents, skills and qualifications to give you a boost of confidence to start the search.
Totally up to you.
- Use your #MondayMotivation to look for jobs. That's when the largest number are posted
- Attend free events to attend with entrepreneurs or other businesswomen
Where to look?
There are several popular job portals where you can look for jobs
5. Ask around for reputable recruitment agencies that people you trust have used in the past
Networking is also a great place to look. Think of it as a multi-dimensional classifieds board.
- Work through feeling desperate because that's when you're most vulnerable to getting scammed
Be extra careful when you're looking for work abroad. Read this Cape Town woman's story about getting scammed into a teaching job in China and then this one about how you can avoid the same pitfalls Thinking of working abroad? Take these 4 steps to protect yourself from being scammed
And it happens right outside your doorstep too though...
3. The interview
Congratulations! You got the call!
Now, here's how to deal with what to wear and how to prepare.
These days you're likely to get interviewed by a panel of people - those who will be involved in making the hiring decision along with the HR person and someone who is a BEE or diversity consultant if they need to fill the position with someone who also ticks these boxes.
- Always ask a question - it shows enthusiasm for the role and the company
- Eye contact is a must - unless there is a medical condition or disability, not looking someone in the eye will generally count against you
The first day
Good for you. You got it!
Here's how to stay happy in your role... so that you land and KEEP your dream job
- Remember though that that even though you might clash with someone, don't hold onto any anger. You spend way too much time at work to harbour any resentments towards anyone.
Sign up to W24’s newsletters so you don't miss out on any of our hot stories and giveaways.