The groom's smitten brother tells this bride that she chose the wrong brother to marry, and 7 more incidents that ruined her wedding day
There is no telling how a wedding will go, who will do the most outrageous things on your day, from your outspoken mother and aunt to your uncle who loves his whisky. All bets are off!
This Reddit bride shares that her wedding ceremony was smooth, but it is what happened before, and afterward that made her day rather nightmarish.
First, at her bridal party the groom's mother told the bride that her son (the groom) was never going to amount to anything, and she (the bride) was making a huge mistake by marrying him.
Just when the bride thought this was a lot to stomach only days before the wedding, she had no idea what would happen just a day before the wedding.
The groom's brother had brought an uninvited and unannounced girlfriend to the rehearsal and then demanded she be included in the wedding. But then on the night before the wedding, the brother came to the bride’s hotel room drunk and crying because he and the new girlfriend got into a fight.
"He said she tried to stab him with a steak knife," the bride shares.
He then went on to tell the bride that she (the bride) made a mistake and had chosen the wrong brother to marry as he is in love with her. "He lunged at me with his tongue out and started groping me," the bride continues.
After the situation was defused, the bride decided to continue with the wedding on the following day despite the shocking incident.
Her father-in-law was first to set the pace for what would be a dramatic wedding day on the next day. When he got to the venue he complained about how cheap everything looked.
"My dad was sick and unemployed at the time, but FIL (father-in-law) knew that, which made it more hurtful. I reminded FIL of this and the fact that I'd paid for everything myself," says the bride.
And everything went downhill from there. Here are seven more incidents that had the bride accepting that this was quite possibly the worst wedding any bride could wish for:
- The groom's stepmother gave the groomsmen money so they could take the groom out to a strip club and "get a hooker" after the ceremony.
- The groom’s biological mother started crying because the bride had not put together an intricate ceremony that she could participate in. This is despite being told in advance that the couple felt it was better to not have any speeches by family than to try and include everyone - the stepmother, biological mother, the bride’s mom, and grandmothers.
- The groom’s stepmother insulted several of the bride’s friends' looks. This was particularly painful for one of the bridesmaids who has multiple disabilities.
- The groomsmen also made fun of her disabilites, insinuating that she had no place being at the wedding.
- The bride’s grandfather noticed a tattoo of a dragon through the back of her dress, then proceeded to shove her and tell her the bible says dragons are satanic and she’s going to hell for having the tatoo.
- The bride's mother told anyone who would listen that it was a good thing the bride got her own wedding dress because there was no way hers (the mother's) could have have fit due to the bride's weight.
- The mother of the maid of honour broke down and started crying when she heard a Nat King Cole song playing. It was her and her recently deceased husband's favourite song. The bride and her maid of honour had to take her outside and calm her down while someone changed the music.
Given what a crisis it was, the bride concluded to say, “the best part is, we had legally gotten married at a courthouse six months before, told no one, and only had the wedding because of our families.”
Reddit users took no time to express their shock at this wedding, with one saying, "That's a circus right there.”
And another adding, "Did you tell your SO (Significant Other) what his brother did??? Did you let him even come to your wedding!? I’m glad you were smart enough to marry secretly to protect your special moment.”
Have you heard a wedding story worse than this one? Tell us here
Sign up to W24’s newsletters so you don't miss out on any of our hot stories and giveaways.